Friday, January 23, 2015

Day 2: The Project Unfolds

We continue on Project 1 at the beginning of day 2. Going through this process is a little unfamiliar. Usually during my design work, I research, get inspiration, draw up some ideas about the space, and then execute my design, tweaking it little by little as it gets closer to the final design. For this project, we really had to play with the material and start hanging it up before we could see our vision.


Our approach is very different than it was when we started. We have started to call it a "Spider Web", because it not only looks exactly like one, but it also perfectly reflects the 3 words we were given. I am starting to like the way the curves of the scrim interact with each other. It is very interesting to see how each new piece adds to the overall design. Interacting with the other groups is important as well because it creates movement throughout the room instead of having all separate designs in each corner of the room. As much as I was hesitant at the beginning, I am starting to trust the process a little more and am excited to see where it goes.




2 comments:

  1. I agree with what you say about trusting the process more as the project progressed. I think at first we were all trying to plan things out way too much and not taking enough action with all of our ideas. By the end of the day everyone's ideas were starting to shape up! Its hard with fabric to try and see or draw exactly how you think it will fall or display itself until you actually place it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this image! Now that you have called it a spider web I am trying to think of what three words work with that. There are so many things that would describe a spider web that it is pretty much impossible. I love how the fabrics opacity changes so much in this image due to background, distance, lights and layering. I am not sure if the opacity is something you are working with or not so much, but it would be great to see what else you could do with the thickness of different layers.

    ReplyDelete